Monday, July 7, 2008

Vive Le France!


7-02-08 Paris, France

Well, we have met Le French and I prefer Le Freak say CHIC! Well, I half-jest: we are all God’s children. But I must say that the Euros enthusiasm for us piddly Americans soured once we crossed into France. I mean we pulled something right out of Monty Python’s Holy Grail: “I fart in your general direction!” But we'll see how things progress....

So after a hot and sweaty Southern California night (90 degrees/ 80% humidity) we popped up the next morning and hit the subway for the Louvre. WOW! For those of you who know, having being an oil painter myself this was a mecca experience. I must admit that when I saw Gericault’s “Raft of the Medusa” I wept openly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raft_of_the_Medusa

Now the scene was only slightly dampered by the one thousand sightseers who joined us to appreciate le art. But hey, art is for everyone.

I also got to see my friend Venus De Milo, which was unexpected. She’s still the hottest armless woman out there.


I also enjoyed the Greek Nike statue discovered in the 1863. The place in at about 108 B.C. I place it at timeless classic. And yes, Nike’s gotta be the hottest headless babe out there!













The Louvre is a city in itself. I can’t explain it other than to say the open courtyard is about 1X4 football fields in size; or at least it felt like it.

We next enjoyed a classic bite to eat at a sidewalk cafe where a canopy sheltered us from a gentle rain. I must add that the French have a few things down: wine, lingerie, bread, rudeness, and dessert! We ordered a pie, and a tiramisu. Magnific! Later we visited the Musee d’ Orsay

which held its own against the luscious Louvre with its excellent representation of Impressionist, Rococo, sculpture, and Art Nouveau. In the end, my brain was fried by the wonderful artworks. But what a lovely slow-burn it was.

We ended our first jaunt into Paris with a chocolate/coconut crepe followed by a banana crepe.

Well, I better get to sleep. The Euros are going to be up till 2 a.m. and I need to rest up for Versailles!

Le Gabe

No comments: